Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I never stop teaching


Yesterday my sister called me in a panic. She is taking a college algebra course, and it is kicking her but. Some people get math and others don't. I have always been someone that kind of gets it. I know, so weird. An English teacher that actually likes math. But it is true. I think I like and respect it for how different it is from literature. It is exciting and kind of refreshing to be looking for one right answer. Her course is online and as we did her homework (she did it, with some tutoring and coaching from me) we would cheer and give each other high fives when the screen displayed the word "Fantastic!" to let us know we achieved the correct answer. I know this sounds so dorky but four hours of Algebra homework on a Monday night was kind of fun. I know, sick! I think more than anything I was proud that she was understanding the material because of me. Every time she said. "Ok, now let me do it on my own", and she did it and came to the correct answer, I felt such a sense of pride. Teaching really is so rewarding. I may be on vacation but the teacher never dies :)

No comments: