Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Stand up for Schools!

The State budget recently signed by the Govenator cuts schools funding by a magnitude unlike we have seen in California's history, slashing 11.6 billion from public schools, which translates to over 8 million for my district over the next couple of years. Because of this, 106 teachers, counselors, and administrators from my district have been told to find new jobs. How can this happen? How can this be? Everyday I talk to another friend that is scared and unsure about his or her future. One of my friends cried today as she looked at her pink slip. Schools are really just sad places right now, and it makes me so mad that despite everything we are expected to smile, teach, and changes the lives of those around us. How will I do that when I have 45 students in a room next year? Besides the cuts of teachers, we are looking at extremely large classes, and the cutting of all or most special programs and services. Teachers across California are observing Friday, March 13 as Pink Friday, in sad recognition of an anticipated 16,000 layoff notices (pink slips) being delivered statewide. Our president just addressed congress and spoke about how the education level of our country is declining and more people need to go to college. We can not focus on bettering education and then strip its recources. We can not touch a student's life when they are shuffeled into an overflowing classroom. And we cannot create excitment and inspiration whithin our students when we are staring at a pink slip. I thankfully have not received a pink slip, and I am so thankful that as of right now, I have a job next year. But the more I think about it, I wonder if this is a place I am going to want to be after the cuts have all been made.

4 comments:

Robin Krill said...

This makes me angry for so many reasons. Of course it bothers me because I was an employee of MHS and my heart breaks for those being let go, but also I don't get it.
Now that I teach in a new district (in Oregon) we are facing the same economy and similar budget cuts, but teachers are not being let go as the first option. Our administrators are doing everything they can to keep teachers here and keep the special programs going.
Why is it that California makes the cuts to the most essential piece of the component? I don't get it.

Lindsay said...

That is what we did during the last cut. We took the furlough day to save jobs, and the district was determined to save jobs, but after the second cut it is just not an option anymore.

Joanna said...

This is so absurd and sad. I will be wearing pink tomorrow in solidarity with all the teachers, both with and without jobs, who have to endure this nightmare. My heart goes out to you!

Lindsay said...

thanks jo!