Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Older and Wiser

Tomorrow is my birthday and I have a lot of conflicting feelings about it. I will be 27, and that is not a problem for me. I am kind of glad to leave 26 behind. I mean, it was a good year. I celebrated my second year of marriage, bought a house (huge), and got two puppies. My 26th year was a year of growing up. I learned all things house hunting and mortgages and interest rates and financing options, and I am very proud that at this stage in my life I have what I do. I don't want to leave behind the feeling of spending the first night in our own home, or the memory of painting my first wall. These were all good things. I also became pregnant at this age, which was a wonderful feeling. An exciting time, when I thought that things could not get better.
At the same time I want to leave the age behind. This year encompassed a lot of firsts I want to forget. My first and second miscarriage, my first emergency room visit, first huge loss. It is a time that I have gained a lot from, but I really want to leave it behind. 27 feels like a brand new start, a clean slate.
Tomorrow is by birthday, and I want the day to pass quickly. Not just because I am excited to leave my 26th year behind, but because tomorrow was my original due date. Tomorrow I would be having a baby, but I am not. It is something I have been dealing with all month and it has been hard. I think about how different things would be right now. I think about if I would have had a boy or a girl, and I envision a much different celebration than the one I will have tomorrow. I am optimistic about the future, but I just want this month to be over.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm so proud of you for hanging in there and remaining strong and optimistic. Here's to making the most of 27. Happy Birthday! Love you!

Jessica said...

Happy birthday, little sister. I hope that 27 brings good things for you because you deserve them.