Friday, November 21, 2008

How is it possible?

It has been a tough week so please bear with me. I feel like I have been really negative lately but I have to get this off of my chest. Yesterday was an overwhelming day for many reasons. Over the years I have developed strong relationships with students. There are usually a few every year that I become close with. I learn more about them then my other students, and for one reason or another they are comfortable with me and like to share their life with me. Last year a lunch crew started to form in my room and since then I have had many of these students come in everyday. I have one student who comes in before school to finish up homework, at lunch to hang out and talk, and after school to wait for his mom to pick him up. I have also had the pleasure of teaching him in his freshmen and now sophomore English class. And after learning so much about him, his family, his dreams, his academics, it is hard for me to deal with the news I received yesterday. His father died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 52. I try to process that news and my heart breaks. How does a 15 year old boy handle that. Every time I think of his amazing spirit and how crushed it must be right now, I fall apart. It is just not fair. How does he deal, how does he come back to school, sit in my class, and learn Subject/Verb agreement. I am so sad for him, and I don't know what I can do to help.
If that wasn't bad enough, one hour later I learned that another one of my students is being raped by her father. An incident that has already been reported and is being investigated, but she wanted me to know why she was missing class so much. I feel sick that she had to go through that, and as she revealed to me the details of the situation she came across as though she thought it was her fault. I took off my teacher hat and became the best counselor I knew how to be.

I think about what my students are dealing with and it hurts. They shouldn't have to worry about these things. They shouldn't have to be anything but a happy teenager. I also think about the enormity that is my job. How do I teach someone that has gone through more in there short life than I have? How do I teach someone who's mind is dealing with grief, and sadness, and confusion, and anger and...

I just don't know if it is possible sometimes.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

This is why I always knew you would be a good teacher. You have so much to give other people, and you always do, Linds.

Lindsay said...

Thanks. It is really hard though!