Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Life and death

For that past couple of weeks I have been thinking a lot about life and death. While this wonderful life is being created in my belly, I have been surrounded by so much death at the same time. First my grandfather, and then days later a student at our school. This student was a freshmen, so loved, a character, a football player, a friend, a son, a brother. So many people on campus loved him and knew his big personality, and at the age of 14 his life ended. I can;t really make sense of the tragedy so I will stick to the facts:

  • He went to sleep and did not wake up the next morning
  • we found out during 2nd period
  • the school shut down, emotionally
  • I had never heard a high school so quiet at lunch
  • there was a lot of crying
  • I did not have him in my class
  • My friends did and the empty desk breaks their heart
  • I became a counselor and mourner all at the same time
  • the kids were scared
  • we all came together
  • We talked about John
  • we still can't believe what has happened

It just does not make sense to me. We have now found out that he had an enlarged heart and it just stopped. At 14 years of age he went to bed and never woke up to go to school the next morning. It is so hard for many of us to believe and I feel for his family that lost a son too soon.

1 comment:

Duez said...

Lindsey, sorry to read about the pain your school is experiencing.

A few years ago I lost a student. He was in my 1st period World History class. Zach died of rabies. It shocked everyone. It was an amazing time to be in a school though. To see the emotion, the love and the sorrow of an entire school and to feel the strength of everyone that had to deal with that - it really taught me a lot.

I wrote a bit about this on my teaching blog, if you are interested in reading it: http://teacherwall.blogspot.com/2010/03/most-memorable-teaching-moment.html

Anyway, what I was left with after losing Zach and others is a simple fact: I need to try to get to know my students as much as they will let me. We don't know how long we have together. And sure they make mistakes, make fools of themselves, don't do their homework... but it's not life and death.