Saturday, March 13, 2010

Goodbye


Today is going to suck. I don't know how to put it any other way. My grandpa Bill passed away on Monday and today is his funeral. It might sound weird but I am 28 years old and I have never been to a real funeral for one of my family members. I just don't know what to expect, and I know that seeing my dad upset is going to be brutal. The truth is, Guevara men are pretty special guys. I have a really close relationship with my dad, as he did with his, and today is going to be such a sad day for everyone.

I do feel lucky though that I was able to know my grandpa for so many years. I am sure that anyone that even only met him once remembered the experience. He was a witty, funny, playful man that knew how to make everyone feel special. He affectionately nicknamed me "The kid." We teased each other about sports (he is a USC fan and I went to UCLA), played cribbage (a card game that the Guevara's are obsessed with) every time we got together, and ever since I was little and made a comment about the stubble on his face when I kissed him, he would make sure his face was freshly shaven for me. As soon as I walked in the house he would give me a hug, and rub his cheek on my face to show that he shaved just for me. But that is what he did. He had little nicknames for everyone, and shared special stories and bonds with everyone he knew.

The last time we were together and he was feeling well Chris, Dad, Grandpa, and I were sitting around playing cribbage; me with all my guys. It was getting late but once you got him started he would play forever. Once the last game was over and it was time to leave I gave him a hug and he told me how excited he was for his great grandson to arrive. Just thinking about that moment breaks my heart because he will now never get to meet him. But, I am comforted by the fact that my son will have a great relationship with his grandpa, just like I did.

2 comments:

Robin Krill said...

I am so sorry Lindsay. You always spoke so affectionately about him and I can only imagine how hard this time is for you and your family. I am sending you hugs today.

Duez said...

Sorry to have to read this post, but it was so well written. What a nice tribute.

You are at the age where these things started happening to me. I had 5 funerals in a 14 month period. It can really get you down. But, I always choose to remember the good times and I am the kind of person that doesn't let someone die. I talk about them and their influence all the time.

So with my five year old son, he knows about his grandfather quite a bit, even though he was taken from us at age 56.

It is all you can do. Remember well.